Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cream Scones

The only scone I ever tried, before this week, was a dry, tasteless, triangle which crumbled onto my lap. So I couldn't understand all the hype about scones. Finally, I caved and tried a scone recipe which was amazingly similar to cream biscuits which I will post one day after I make them again and take photos.These were not anything like the scone of 12 years ago all over the plate in crumbs, they were tender inside and crisp on the outside, had great flavor and has launched me into a "scone binge" (look for cinnamon scones later this week).
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into little pieces
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons cream for glaze
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or grease it.
Mix all dry ingredients. Cut butter into dry mixture until it looks like course crumbs.
Mix the egg, vanilla and cream.
Add to the dry, mixing only until combined. If you want tender scones then handle as little as possible. Knead a couple times to smooth the dough on a lightly floured surface.
Roll or pat the dough, gently, into an eight inch disc.
Cut into 4 then
4 again.
Transfer to the baking sheet.
Brush with the 3 tablespoons cream.
Bake 15-18 minutes until edges are lightly golden.
These were lovely plain, but even better with some blueberry preserves.
They disappeared so fast I'm glad I snagged one for this picture. Mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment