Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Espresso, Chocolate Chip "Muffin in a Mug" - GF, Sugar-free, THM (S)

I am so fond of Autumn, with it's deeper, richer flavors, after spending the summer with the cool, lighter versions of everything from food to clothes, it is a welcome change. It is a sad thing to put away the sandals and capris, but ah, my favorite wool sweater.

My favorite breakfast is a strawberry smoothie. I can have one for breakfast everyday and not become bored with it. Today, however, the house is cold, the temperature outside has dropped and the furnace is broken. I did not need an ice cold smoothie! I needed my wool sweater and a hot muffin!

I hesitated to post a "MIM" , muffin in a mug, because there are so many recipes already and all so similar. But this has to be my favorite variation, thought up while shivering in my kitchen holding a steamy cup of coffee, it feels less eggy or spongy, more like the flour muffins we are all used to. I hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter, melted
3 tablespoons almond flour/meal
2 tablespoons flax meal
3 teaspoons erythritol
2 dashes pure stevia
1 egg, medium or large
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
generous pinch of salt
1 heaping tablespoon 90% chocolate, chopped ( I used Lindt )
1/2 -1 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee powder
Directions:
Spray or sparingly butter the mug or ramekin, I am using a glass Pyrex container which is a perfect size for the "Muffin in a Mug" recipes from Trim Healthy Mama , bonus is that if I am packing this for a snack or meal later I can just put the lid on when it is completely cool and take it with me.
Break egg directly into greased bowl,
 add all the ingredients except the chocolate.

 Stir. Add chocolate and give a gentle swirl to just distribute the chocolaty goodness throughout the batter.


 I bake mine in the toaster oven for 20 minutes, at 350F. Adjust time if necessary if your container is much larger or smaller. You can also microwave for about a minute if you are in a hurry.



A toothpick inserted will come out clean when done. Allow to cool for a couple minutes to set. Run a knife around muffin to dislodge and don't burn your mouth from impatience. :)

 Oh! Was this bite good!
Special thank you to Serene and Pearl for this wonderful eating plan! http://www.trimhealthymama.com/


4 comments:

  1. This looks great! Can't wait to try it. Any chance of giving the measurements for a master mix of this one? It's oh- so -handy to have on hand at busy spells... Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A master mix is a great idea, let me get to this and I'll post it asap! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this and WOW! I was also getting sick of the eggy texture of many of the muffins and cakes. I actually used coconut flour because I didn't have to flax meal and it came out pretty dry (My batter looked nothing like yours, I added a little water but not enough) but still I appreciated the dry muffin texture over the eggy muffins! Any ideas of what I can use with the coconut flour to make it not so dry? I am definitely keeping this recipe and I'm going to see what other flavors I can come up with it. Thanks for this amazing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, I don't use much coconut flour because the texture is so dry and often grainy. Flax with almond gives a nice moist yet not eggy texture and great flavor. I hope you find the perfect mix for you, I encourage you to experiment with the different flours. I am always interested to learn what other people are trying so please let me know what your favorite turns out to be!

      Delete