Sunday, January 26, 2014

My Favorite Muffin in a Mug So Far! Samoa! Gluten-free, Trim Healthy Mama (S), Sugar-free

A couple weeks ago, Gwen's Nest, posted a Samoa milkshake. If you like Samoas but have not tried it, go, now, make it, it is that good! However, I live on the edge of the snow belt, it is cold here, and currently we are under several inches of the white fluffy stuff. I didn't want a milkshake today, I wanted a warm, flavorful muffin. *Just poked the last bite into my mouth, yummm, happy.* 

I wish I could share a bite but the best I can do is share a picture, and recipe; you have to make your own. 
There is the picture, and here is the recipe. 

Samoa Muffin in a Mug 
1 tablespoon coconut oil, butter, or MCT oil
2 tablespoons flax meal
3 tablespoons almond meal
1 tablespoon erythritol
dash stevia
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
dash salt
1 square chopped 90% chocolate, I used Lindt
2 tablespoons shredded coconut, unsweetened
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon caramel flavor
1/2 teaspoon butter flavor
Mix all in lightly oiled mug, I used a small pyrex glass container. 
Bake 350F. for 20 minutes or 1 minute in microwave.
Here is the usual stream of photos.







I love Muffins, they are a great grab-n-go snack, or breakfast on the run. Sometimes I will line up the glass containers and make a string of muffins, varying the flavors in each, this way I can just put 1/2 or whole muffin in ziploc baggies to drop in my purse as I run out the door for appointments or errands. 
Enjoy!

Tuesday Link-up at Gwen's Nest
Trim Healthy Mama

14 comments:

  1. Your chopped chocolate picture is my favorite!! Can't wait to try this recipe either. Thanks for sharing ~ Angela From Grassfed Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. You show coconut flour in the pic but not the recipe ...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bag is "Coconut, Fine", referring to the fine shred. It is my favorite to use because it is less stringy.

      Delete
  3. would an egg subsitute of some sort work with this recipe?
    thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe an egg substitute would work but the egg is part of the protein and fat count, so adjust accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI - MCT oil shouldn't be cooked. Sounds yummy, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Research shows that it should not be used for frying but is acceptable for baking. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. What can you replace the coconut extract and the caramel witg, just because I don't have them ? Vanilla?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a simple vanilla muffin, or orange extract. Any flavor you would enjoy with chocolate chunks. Create your own favorite , and definitely come back to share!

      Delete
    2. I like a simple vanilla muffin, or orange extract. Any flavor you would enjoy with chocolate chunks. Create your own favorite , and definitely come back to share!

      Delete
  7. If I put honey for sweetness, should it be 1T as well?
    I don't have butter flavour, so I'll just out some more butter, would that do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I would use 1 1/2 tablespoons because stevia is sweeter. Additional butter may make the muffin 'greasier" or heavy. I would just skip the flavor. Experiment and have fun.

      Delete
  8. Any idea how much sweet blend (super sweet) one would use? If I follow the conversion chart, it'd be about 3/4 tsp. but most of the MIM recipes in the book use much more....like 2 tsp :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for recipe. Great texture. Made first time with the chocolate but felt the 90 Lindt was overpowering for the coconut. Second time I amped up the coconut flavour and served with a sprinkle of sukrin gold (brown sugar substitute) and plain Greek yoghurt with a little vanilla added.
    I reckon it would be excellent if you flavored with butterscotch extract and served with sugar free caramel and cream because colour and texture would match really well.

    ReplyDelete