Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Oatmeal Thumbprints with a Handful of Coconut

These were chewy, coconutty, easy, yummy, "just couldn't stay away from them" cookies. This photo does not do them justice. There were several still on the plate when I came home Saturday afternoon...no one else was home...they weren't safe...diet disaster ensued. When my daughter arrived home later in the afternoon and asked the location of the cookies, I was completely chastened by her look of unbelief. I shall in the future always save one for her :)

Ingredients:
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole grain (I used spelt for both flours)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups oatmeal
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
jam (I used seedless blackberry)

Lightly grease baking sheets.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a large mixer bowl, beat butter and coconut oil together until light and fluffy.
Add sugar, brown sugar, and molasses and beat until thoroughly incorporated.

  Add eggs, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
Add the flour mixture, mixing only until incorporated. Stir in the oats and coconut.

Drop by tablespoon onto prepared pan. Make a divot in the center of each dough ball
and fill with 1 teaspoon jam.
Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the edges are golden.

I know, you can't wait so go get the butter out to soften! And start the coffee too ;)

1 comment:

  1. Your description on these as well as the photos do inspire me to make some of these gems. I love all things coconut, so I am sure I would enjoy these. Delicious post!
    Also, thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete