Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cabbage, Onions, and Garlic, Oh My!

Recently a friend gave me several cabbages. "Several" would be an understatement. One can only eat so much coleslaw and you can't can cabbage. So, since my favorite soup begins with cabbage, onion and garlic sauted in butter I did just that, in large quantity then froze it in 2 cup portions.
Begin by chopping the cabbage and onion, put them in a large pot with a couple tablespoons of butter or olive oil.



Press the garlic into the pot.
Cook and stir until tender.


Add salt and pepper if desired. I added hot peppers to some of it.
Let cool, bag, freeze. Don't forget to clearly mark the contents on the bag or you will wonder what it is and never actually pull it out and use it.
Use this to start vegetable soup or minestrone. I'm sure you will come up with many other uses for such a base, do share your ideas, I am always on the look out for simple, healthy dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment