Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sweet Potato Latkes

These were over the top tasty, perfectly crunchy exterior with a tender inside.
For my gluten free friends they have no gluten, just an egg to bind the ingredients, enjoy.
Make them tiny for appetizers or palm size for a side dish, either way delicious. Serve plain, with sour cream or applesauce (traditional), for breakfast with eggs, or dinner with chicken or brisket. If you are strict kosher use soy or rice sour cream.
The first night I made these I used 4 large russet potatoes and 1 small sweet potato, they were so good I barely made it to the table with any still on the plate. The forth night of Hanukkah I made them again but with zucchini in place of the sweet potato, just as good. I also used red onion to add a bit more color and a softer, more mellow onion flavor. I had not made latkes in years, but I will not be waiting long to make them again.
Ingredients (roughly):
2 pounds potatoes, starchier the better like russets
1 sweet potato
1 onion, red or other
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
oil for frying, olive or canola
Grate the potatoes and place in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes.
 Drain in a colander, then place on a clean dry towel and roll up then twist to remove remaining liquid.

 Put into a mixing bowl with the onion, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well.

 Fry in about 1/2 inch of oil, if you are frying very many you will have to add more oil as you go.
I use about a 1/4 cup of potato mixture in each latke, they are easier to flip if they are small to medium, the larger you make them the more apt they are to fall apart as they are turned. 

 Drain on paper towels.

 
  I know you want one...

No comments:

Post a Comment