Friday, December 9, 2011

Apple Oatmeal Muffins with a Hint of Maple

These are yummy AND  healthy. I am a picky eater, I just confess this now, whew, it feel so good to come clean. If it doesn't taste good I just do not care how healthy it is I will not eat it more than once.
I have worked this recipe over twice and will stop now because it passes the test, easy, healthy and tastes great.
Make them and judge for yourself.
I used spelt flour for the white and whole but wheat will work just as well.
Apple Oatmeal Maple Muffins (I know, it is too long)
Makes 18 standard size muffins.
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole grain flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk, dairy, coconut or whatever milk you use
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
3 tablespoons oil, I used melted coconut oil but butter would be good too or olive
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple flavor
1/3 cup real maple syrup
1 large tart apple, diced
Preheat the oven to 350F.
Lightly grease muffin pans or use paper liners.
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
In a small bowl, mix the wet ingredients except the apple.
 Stir to combine but do not over mix or beat or you will have one tough muffin.
Add the apple by gently folding the batter over the chunks.
 Spoon into the pans.
Bake for about 20 minutes, test by inserting a toothpick in the center, when it comes out clean they are done.
There you go, whole grains, very little sugar, fruit, packed with flavor, who could ask for more!
Yum. Now go make these and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment