Thursday, December 29, 2011

Spicy Bean Dip

Okay, it's really black eyed pea dip but if I had entitled it as such would you have opened this post? Most of our appetizers and dips are less than healthy, I personally have tried some healthier options and had come to believe that "healthy dip" meant shredded cardboard, no longer. This could be described as something akin to hummus, however, I don't care for garbanzo beans so this is a lovely option.
  It is also very versatile, as you can add more spice and heat or less, a bit more olive oil will make it even creamier or add some sour cream. I am thinking even now that I will try adding some smoky chipotle peppers or adobo sauce.
For my gluten free friends I used Nut Thin crackers, this would be good on matzoh too.
Ingredients:
1  15oz. can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 large clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 green onions or 2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
3 tablespoons olive oil, more or less
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons jalapeno
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt/pepper to taste
4-6 dashes hot sauce (like Frank's)
Put all in food processor, whirl until completely mixed and mashed.
Taste. Add, more of whatever you think it needs, usually salt for me, whirl again.
Scrape into a serving bowl.
Serve with crackers or pita bread.
Great, no guilt snack or appetizer. Enjoy...really enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment