Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Cornbread Visits Greece

I really enjoy a good cookbook, they have to have an abundance of photos, after all we "eat" with our eyes first. I had looked at several, when perusing the shelves at a book store with my daughter-in-law. I have no room for a new cookbook, my daughter reminds me of this frequently, jokingly forbidding me to purchase another. So I jotted down titles and searched the library.
I found a recipe for "Greek-Style Cornbread with Feta and Thyme" in Ancient Grains for Modern Meals by Maria Speck. I altered it, I have a compulsive disorder, I alter everything, can't leave anything alone.
My version:
2 cups stone ground cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
dash black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 large eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon dried thyme
6 oz. crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon butter
Preheat oven to 450F. Place a 9-10 inch cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat.
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Make a well in the center.
Mix all the wet ingredients, except the feta and butter, then pour into the well in the dry.
 Stir just until combined.
 Add the feta, stir gently.
Remove skillet from oven, add butter,
add batter.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges begin to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let cool for 10 minutes, remove to wire rack.
Enjoy warm with or without butter.
This was good with a big salad or would be an excellent accompaniment to tomato soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment