Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Savory White Bean Soup, Perfect for a Chilly Evening

I love soup, I may have mentioned this a time or two. It doesn't matter to me if it is cold outside or not, soup is always good.
1 large onion, diced
2 large cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
2 -15oz. cans Great Northern beans or Cannellini beans
2 tablespoons olive oil plus a couple more for the broth
1 quart vegetable broth or chicken broth
1 teaspoon each of parsley, marjoram, oregano
salt and pepper to taste
freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
Saute the onion in the olive oil
until just beginning to brown. Add the garlic, stir and remove from heat.
I did this in a small fry pan but would have started in the soup pot had I engaged my brain first. So, despite the photo, use a 4 quart pot, or what ever you have so you don't have more pans to wash than necessary.
Into the pot put all the ingredients except the cheese. I added a couple tablespoons of the olive oil to the broth to increase flavor and make the texture smoother, it made a big difference.
 Give it a stir and allow to simmer for 10-20 minutes.
Serve with a sprinkle of cheese and some rolls, a salad or cut veggies.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the friend add. I love meeting new "foodie" friends!
    Your applesauce roulade looks beautiful... I'm looking forward to more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete