Friday, May 6, 2011

Our Favorite Cinnamon Rolls

The last time I made these they started to disappear from the pan before I could frost them. I was so miffed that I never did get a good "finished" photo. I should be flattered that my husband and son like them so much that they couldn't resist an unattended pan of rolls, and that did serve to make the frosting that much thicker on the remaining spirals, hmm, one sounds good right now.
As I set up the mixer, on the counter next to the window, I noticed this little guy sitting quietly on the edge of the window box.
After a few minutes, he picked several strands of the coconut liner off and flew away. I am so glad that Spring is on the way.
Ingredients:
8 tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
2 eggs
4 cups flour plus some for rolling
Filling:
3-4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar, packed
ground cinnamon
Frosting at bottom of page.
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the water. Allow to get frothy.
Add the butter, salt and eggs. Stir until combined.
Mix in the flour, the dough will be very sticky.
Cover with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes. It should be puffy.
Knock it down, which simply means to knead it with your hand until it deflates, then put it on the counter which has been sprinkled with flour.
 Sprinkle the top of dough with flour too.
Roll into a 12x18 inch rectangle.
Brush with the melted butter.
Sprinkle with the brown sugar.
Generously, sprinkle with cinnamon.
Carefully, without tearing the dough (if possible), roll the long side.
Cut into 12-18 slices, it really depends on how large you want your finished roll.
Arrange them in a WELL buttered 9x13 inch baking pan.
Cover with the towel again and allow to rise for 40  minutes. Then preheat the oven to 375F.
Uncover
and bake for 18 minutes or until golden.
Now here is where it gets tricky, you should let these cool slightly before frosting or glazing or it will just run to the low spots. However, the whole house will now be alerted to the fact that there is something wonderfully fragrant in the kitchen. If you leave the kitchen this is what will happen before you return to frost them.
I have used a variety of frostings for these and have two favorites. The first is a cream cheese frosting that is both quick and easy.
Into the mixing bowl, put 1 stick of soft butter and 8 oz. soft cream cheese. Beat until fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2-3 cups powdered sugar. Beat until spreadable consistency.
Spread generously on top of semi cool rolls.
My favorite frosting is found on Pioneer Woman's website, it is a coffee maple glaze, wow, that's all I can say.
I halved it for a 9x13.
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons brewed coffee
pinch salt
Whisk this all together until smooth and pour/drizzle over cinnamon rolls.
Have a cup of the rest of the coffee with one of these, it will make the whole day seem better! Well it did for me.

2 comments:

  1. I will pay generously to have you make these and ship them to me.... ;)

    -Emily (a friend of Katrina Moyes's)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I think we should meet at Katrina's and eat hers!!

    ReplyDelete