Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Spicy Chicken Enchilada Soup

One day I just had to have chicken enchiladas but didn't have time to assemble all of it so I thought if I put it all in the crock pot and served it with tortilla chips it would be almost as good. My family thinks it is great and we hope you will too.

2 cups chicken, cooked and cut into chunks
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can black beans
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 quart chicken broth
2 large chopped tomatoes OR 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 oz. canned diced green chilies
1 cup cream or whole milk ( I prefer cream ;)
2 cloves garlic, pressed or chopped finely
4 tablespoons butter
Into a large soup pot, maybe a 4 quart, saute the onion in the butter. When the onion is tender add the garlic, give it a stir then add the chicken broth right away. (If you want to use a crock pot this is when you start dumping everything into the crock then cook on high 4 hours just before serving add the cream and cheese.)

Add the beans, chicken, tomatoes, chilies,
stir,cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the cream and cheese.

Stir until combined.
This is even better the next day.
Now some tips:
I keep leftover cooked chicken in the freezer in 2 cup portions for soups or foldover sandwiches.

Green chilies come in 4 oz. cans so freeze the other 2 oz. for next time.
I also keep shredded cheese in the freezer, especially the types I use for soup or other meals.
I really like glass containers but will use zip bags when I run out of glass.
If you have ideas for making meal prep easier please share them, I'm always on the look out for ways to make better meals faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment