Monday, October 13, 2014

Savory Egg Noodles with a Special Little Something

Every great once in a while, a recipe I haven't made in years just pops into my head and is on my mind until I make it. Sometime around 20 years ago, this noodle dish appeared at a pot luck event, I was so taken with it I asked several people until I discovered who brought it.  This was not the prettiest dish on the table, in fact, I probably would not have tried it except for the fact that I love egg noodles.

As you read through the recipe one of the ingredients may seem out of place, however, it literally makes the dish! Try it, you won't be sorry.
Ingredients:
1 small head cabbage
1 medium yellow onion
2 tablespoons butter
1 large bag egg noodles, width does not matter
1 stick real butter (8 tablespoons)
1 12 oz jar mild banana pepper rings
salt and pepper to taste

Begin by cooking the noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
While the noodles are cooking, shred the cabbage and chop the onion.
Saute the cabbage and onion in the 2 tablespoons butter.
 Into a medium crock pot or back into the pasta pot, put the drained noodles, sauteed cabbage and onion, the stick of butter and the jar of banana peppers, that's right, just dump that whole jar in, if you are leery then start with 1/2 the jar, salt and pepper to taste. Sometimes I pour most of the liquid in and just a few peppers because one of my family members likes the flavor but picks the peppers out.

 Stir gently. Set crock pot to low to keep warm or just stir and serve, yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment