Monday, February 7, 2011

Homemade Fried Cheese Sticks

I love cheese! So what's better than fried cheese? Cheesecake, but it's not time for dessert yet.
My daughter gave me a recipe for these yummy cheese sticks, they are incredible. I used olive oil for a healthier fat, reduced fat mozzarella sticks, homemade bread crumbs from some stale bread I put in the freezer and good eggs from my friend Letitia's pastured chickens. So, really, how unhealthy were they?
You could use sliced mozzarella or the sticks sold as string cheese, in fact, the cheddar or pepper jack sticks would be good too.
Here's the recipe:
1 lb. mozzarella sticks or chunk cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup flour all purpose, white spelt or rice might work too but I didn't try it
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1/2 cup olive oil
I had to make my crumbs by grinding the bread in the food processor, add the seasoning too.
Set up three bowls with the eggs in one, the flour in the second and the crumbs in the third.
I cut the cheese sticks in half. Have ready a sheet pan lined with wax paper.
Dip each stick in egg,
then flour,
then egg again,
then bread crumbs.
Place on sheet pan.
Line them all up and refrigerate for an hour.
Heat the oil in a small fry pan.
Put a few in the hot oil careful not to over crowd them.
Cook one minute per side.
Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Guard them. In fact eat a couple quickly before the family snags them all.
Serve with marinara sauce or tomato soup.

2 comments:

  1. Those sound great! I can't wait to try them. We too are cheese lovers. I will, however, be using full-fat cheese and butter or tallow instead of low-fat cheese and olive oil. I am a firm believer in healthy fats; and animal fats are the healthiest fats you can consume (if the animals were treated properly). Olive oil is extremely delicate and is best consumed in small quantities straight from the bottle, unheated. If you do cook with it, it should never be heated hotter than a brief stir fry. From what I understand, it can become toxic to your body if overheated.

    Thanks again for the great recipe! I am going to try these this weekend. (I found you from the Heavenly Homemaker's site.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal,
    I completely agree, however, I don't care for the flavor of tallow and my hubby would turn his nose up at coconut oil. Yours will be much healthier.
    Glad to hear from you, I love feedback!

    ReplyDelete