Monday, March 15, 2010

Sweet, Gooey Monkey Bread

Last Christmas I gave my elder son a "monkey bread kit". I though it was brilliant knowing he loves cinnamon rolls and does, occasionally, bake to take to work. At this writing, I don't think he has used it yet. What I do know is that this batch came out of the oven 15 minutes ago and despite hot, gooey, melted sugar, it is already half eaten.

I used bread dough instead of the expensive (and unhealthy) tubes of biscuit dough but if you want easy then substitute 3 cans of biscuits for the bread part of this recipe-not the flaky kind. Separate the biscuits and cut into quarters then proceed with the rolling.
Basic Bread Dough
3 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup dry milk
1/3 cup potato flakes
1 1/4 cups of warm water
In a large mixer bowl, stir together water, sugar and yeast. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
 Add the other ingredients and mix until all is incorporated and well kneaded. It should pull away from the bowl in a smooth ball. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
Knead the ball of dough a few times then break off small pieces and roll them into 1" balls. By the way, my dough is darker because, of the 3 cups flour, one cup of my flour was whole grain.
For the sweetness--
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
 In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon, roll each ball in this mixture until well coated, drop into well greased tube pan.
Melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat, stirring with a wisk until butter is no longer separated from sugar. Pour mixture over the coated bread/biscuit balls. 
Set in warm place to rise for one hour.When almost to top of pan bake in a preheated oven at 375F.for 25-30 minutes. They will be medium/dark brown. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning onto plate. As my youngest found out they will still be very hot! 

So, why is it called Monkey Bread? Because you pull it apart and need no knives or servers, of course my husband had some comment about social grooming, I'm still shaking my head. Any way your opinion sways, it was a winner tonight.

2 comments:

  1. Nope, it hasn't been made yet. Maybe I should make it my next baking project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe for a savory monkey bread too, I'll be trying soon. I think you'd like that one too.

    ReplyDelete