Monday, November 21, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Cake--To Live For!

Can't really say that I would die for a cake, so it's not "to die for", but it was awfully good, wow good.
 I wish I could show you a photo of a plated piece all dolled up with bits of toasted coconut artfully scattered around it, alas it vanished without a photo. I took it to an Oneg event (fellowship meal) so I didn't want to take a piece out before it went, then before I turned around it was gone.
So here is a lesson on taking components you may already have and regrouping to form another wonderful concoction. Here is the list of components.
The chocolate cake was light, airy and rich, I used the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box. It is always good and is my "fall back" recipe for any chocolate cake.
The creamy white frosting is the best white frosting I have ever had. I snagged this recipe from Tasty Kitchen http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/thate28099s-the-best-frosting-ie28099ve-ever-had/   It is light and creamy, not heavy like a butter cream, more like a stable whipped cream texture.
To this add the simple, yet classic, toasted coconut. It dressed it up, added visual appeal and besides that...well, I just love coconut.
The Hershey Recipe
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour (I used spelt)
3/4 cup Hershey's cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil (I use melted coconut oil, or butter)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Butter a 9x13" pan, set aside.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Mix dry ingredients, set aside.
 Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir until just combined.
  Add the boiling water, stir, pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until a pick comes out clean.
Frosting
5 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup softened butter
1 cup granulated sugar, not powdered
While baking, in a small saucepan heat, stirring constantly, the flour and milk until it thickens to a pasty consistency.


 Allow to cool completely before the next step.
While you are still waiting for the cake you can toast the coconut. Watch it closely (I burned the first batch).
 Put about a cup and a half coconut onto a baking pan. Toast at 325F. for maybe 5-10 minutes, until it begins to appear golden.
Set this aside for a few minutes until cool or the frosting will melt if you put it on while warm.
When the frosting base is completely cooled (and not until!), beat in the butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the granulated sugar until all graininess is gone. Add vanilla.
Mmmm, so light.
 Spread evenly over surface of cooled cake.
 Sprinkle with the coconut.
So there you have it, chocolate, light, creamy frosting and coconut--does it get any better than that?
 My daughter made me promise to make this again, soon!
Make sure you get a piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment