Monday, August 8, 2011

Salsa! Fresh or Canned Make it Now

When you saw the post title, did you start dancing? Your mouth might dance with happiness if you fill it with this yummy goodness.
We've been using this recipe for several years, 12 or so. If you want your salsa thicker just add some tomato paste until you have it the desired consistency, you can do this either before or after the canning process.
I got the original recipe from my friend Holly, she is an amazing cook! I made a few changes to suit my own preferences, like more garlic and fresh cilantro instead of dried.
Salsa:
Into a large stock pot or bowl, you are not going to cook it you just need something large enough to stir everything together.
16-18 pounds tomatoes, diced
6 onions, diced
jalapenos,diced finely to taste ( I use 4-6 )
6 teaspoons salt
6 tablespoons lime juice, add the zest too if you like
1/4 cup minced cilantro (or more)
1/2 cup white vinegar
10 cloves garlic, minced



Stir together, can in quarts or pints, makes about 9-10 quarts, and , of course, twice as many pints.
Can in boiling water canner, 15 minutes for pints and 25 minutes for quarts.


Don't forget to have some fresh with chips while you can the rest! Or on top of some black beans and rice--add lots of cheese for me!
Last month I cooked some chicken breasts in the crock pot with a jar of salsa, after 6 hours on high I just stuck a fork in and broke them all up into a wonderful shredded chicken I used to fill tortillas for dinner.
Need some more ideas? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment